Over the last couple of weeks I have developed Photoshop designs from my
initial drawings of collaged 'banners' to be digitally printed. However, the
outcomes of these prints were not what I wanted; the colours were too dark and
the fabric choices were not right for the effect I wanted to achieve. The
sublimation printer can only print onto synthetic fabrics, but I thought I
would be able to achieve a closer effect to paper using this technique with the
selection of fabrics on offer to me. I was also advised by the embroidery
technicians that I wouldn't be able to stitch onto paper using the multi-head
embroidery machine as it would tear easily, so I began experimenting with Paper
Nylon and Poly Taffeta - both thin fabrics with an appearance similar to paper.
![]() |
| Poly Taffeta |
Sizing was restricted to A4 and A3. On reflection, I would have liked to
produce a larger scale sample using the sublimation printing method, similar to
the paper roll I experimented with in week one of the project, which is a
development I could make in future.
When it came to designing the digital embroidery, I hadn't considered the
size of the sash frame which meant rescaling the designs several times. It was
also difficult to line my designs up exactly with the prints, and in future I
will create a reference point on the fabric if I’m stitching directly over a
particular shape. Furthermore, because the sash frame extends further than the
machine front, it can get stuck on the sides, which causes the design to move
over the fabric. Although this was unintentional on the mustard colour sample
(above), I love how the stitching adds depth to my design, and reinforces the
transparency I wanted to achieve from the beginning of the project on
Photoshop.
Similarly, the embroidery design below, (stitched over an original
drawing), reinforces the water marks on the fabric and adds depth and texture
to the flat printed design. I intend to explore this further at a later stage
in the project.





No comments:
Post a Comment