Thursday, 19 November 2015

Screen Print and Development

After carrying out more detailed visual research and drawing, I began to think about translating them into screens. The technician advised that newsprint paper and a scalpel to cut stencils out would be a quick way to test the designs out on fabric. I found this to be quicker and easier, until I tried to screen print with the stencils. The paper could only be used once before it ripped. On reflection, I would only use newsprint again if I was screen printing a small design, not on large designs which I would expose a screen for.


Neutral Painting Linen


Black Brushed Cotton


White PVC
Out of the samples above, I believe the PVC as a background is a little stark for an interiors context. However, I would consider using it for a live brief such as Michael Kidner as it would be more effective for installation and gallery work.

My designs look better integrated onto a neutral or coloured background and the effect created when the printing inks are layered over one another, particularly on the black fabric reinforces the geometric and transparent element I wanted to capture. The colours however, are still not as vibrant as I had hoped, so I will develop my colour palette further to achieve this.

No comments:

Post a Comment